Medical transcription can simplistically be defined as the process of creating patient records, however medical transcription adds value to the healthcare process by providing numerous benefits. The inputs for this process come from the audio recordings of the healthcare professionals. Once the patient visit is over, the healthcare professional records the details of the patient-healthcare professional encounter in audio format. Medical transcription is the process of conversion of these audio files into text format.
The patient records created by this process have an important role to play in the healthcare process. Patient records have an important role to play in the following:
· Provide continuity of care
· Basis for planning patient care
· Assist in protecting legal interests
· Form the base for coding and billing
· Form the basis for education and research
· Fulfill statutory requirements